7 Travel Essentials

Over recent years I've done a lot of traveling, on short and long trips. I've also gotten to a place where I have even been able to pack only a backpack as my main bag. Different types of trips can require different types of clothing and tools, but there are certain items I find that I am always sure to take with me. This is my list of 7 items that are essential for any trip, in no particular order.



Camera - this seems like an obvious choice, mostly because I have a camera with me at all times. Depending on the length and location of my travels, I may bring my Canon Rebel T3i DSLR or simply the camera on my phone. These days, you do not necessarily need a large expensive camera since most smart phones have high quality cameras. However, if you are really into photography (like myself) you may want a separate camera for certain trips. For example, I did not take my Canon on a recent trip to Italy because I was packing light, but I am definitely taking it on my trip to Scotland and the Highlands later this year.




Large Scarf - you will see this mentioned on many travel blogs and videos. There is a good reason for this! I have many scarves in my closet, but the one I take when I travel is large and soft. There are so many uses for a large scarf besides actually wearing it as a scarf. Even on my one week trip a couple months ago, I used it is a blanket, a pillow, a head covering, and a scarf. It can also be really comforting to have with you in a foreign place just because it is something soft that smells like home.




Kindle - I purchased a basic Kindle on one of Amazon's sale days a couple years ago and it has easily paid for itself. I like it better than a small tablet because the battery lasts longer and I find it easier on my eyes. There is a lot of waiting when you are traveling, especially on international trips - waiting to board your plane or train, waiting for your plane or train to get to the destination, waiting for connections, etc. etc. etc. I typically download a few books onto my Kindle before I leave on a trip so I'm not relying so heavily on wifi during the trip.




A Journal - I personally find this really important for every trip. If I didn't write in my travel journal at least once a day to record what I did and saw each day, I would quickly forget the details of any trip. I leave a few blank pages in between each day's entry so that I can add photos or ticket souvenirs when I get home. I have purchased nice travel journals at World Market, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble. 




Packing Cubes - I saw several packing videos about these when I was prepping for my UK trip a couple years ago, and decided to give them a try. They changed my whole packing experience! They help me save space and keep my clothes organized. I use them to pack for every trip I take now - doesn't matter the number of clothing items I take. I purchased mine at REI because I wanted to see them in person first, but you can order them from Amazon too. They can be a little pricey, but they are completely worth it in the long run. My favorites are the compression versions because they squeeze down even smaller.




Energy Bars - emergency snacks are great for anyone to have but these are especially important for those of us that tend to get 'hangry'. I typically take Lara bars with me, because their Coconut Chocolate Chip flavor is my favorite and they have good natural protein that isn't a weird texture. Energy bars are great to have with you for those moments you are stuck in a place where you can't get a meal right away (because that will happen when you are traveling).



Power Bank/Charging Pack - a lot of times when I travel I am out and away from my hotel for most of the day. It is really nice, in those cases, to not worry about using up your phone battery! When you carry a small power bank with you can be worry free. When your battery gets low, simply hook up to your power bank and charge it back up for a bit. The one I've been using is Anker brand and it can fully charge my phone battery twice on one charge. 


Comments

Popular Posts