Setting Goals for 2017

Typically at the beginning of each year, I set at least a few goals that I want to work towards that year. These are not so much New Years Resolutions as much as things I want to accomplish or ideals that I want to move towards. This year I have some close friends who decided to get an early start on theirs and created a little support group to help keep each other motivated while we work to complete them.

We met in early December to share our personal goals with the group and discuss some of the reasons behind them. Some of our goals are similar to each other, and some are very different. Since our initial meeting, we've been using a Facebook event scheduled for June and the Trello site/app to track our progress and discuss options. I wanted to share my goals here on my blog as an additional accountability measure and hopefully it will help motivate others who are also working towards goals this year.

At the beginning of our meeting, we discussed the major areas that our goals could fall into. I have listed them below and categorized my goals using these areas. Obviously, your goals may not follow these exact categories, but we found them to be an easy method for our group.

Meaning (this could be your contribution to the world in general or goals you want to accomplish at work or in your business)

  • Publish one new blog post each month
  • Participate in Middle Tennessee Walk M.S. event (April 2017)

Travel (for some this could be as simple as touring the city they live in, or it could mean leaving the country)

  • Obtain Global Entry (due by February 26th)
  • Visit 2 new states (due by December 31st) 

Learning (this included many different types of learning from our group)

  • Take DSLR photography class or lessons (due by July 31st)
  • Obtain 50% fluency in German language (due by December 31st)
  • Read 5 books, 2 of which are already on my book list (due by December 31st)

Health (physical and mental)

  • Lose 15lbs before Italy trip (due by February 25th)
  • Create habit of exercising each morning (due by May 31st)
  • Pay down BECU credit card debt by $1,500 (due by June 30th)
  • Lose additional 15lbs before Seattle trip (due by August 15th)
  • Pay off remaining BECU credit card debt (due by October 31st)

Family (I hesitate to put this on here as it can be quite personal, but it is one we discussed and it is very important to many of us. This may not include concrete measurable goals, but it certainly embodies a desire for closer relationships.)

  • communicate more with my Dad and brothers and build closer relationships
This is just the beginning - I also plan to later discuss the idea of adapting goals to fit life. I'd love to see what goals you have set for the year and why. Please leave them below in the comments! 

Comments

Popular Posts