Giving Thanks

Over the past few weeks I have been reflecting on the past year, how my life has changed and how blessed I am. As the year comes to a close it is not uncommon to reflect on the past and think about the future year, but I feel like I have an added sense of thoughtfulness and gratefulness this year. Part of it could be due to the fact that I'm older, but I think it is more.

It was right after Thanksgiving last year that I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. In some ways it seems like yesterday, and yet it also feels like ages ago. Probably because I've done so much in this year since then. Before this year is completely over, I wanted to share some things I'm currently the most thankful for.

New friends - Towards the beginning of 2016 I had the opportunity to purchase discounted tickets to the Nashville Symphony through work. I put out an invitation on Facebook to see if anyone in town wanted to accompany me. After I posted it, I thought about this one Facebook friend who I had connected with through a mutual friend but we hadn't really spent any time together in person. She was always posting about going to some concert or performance around town. However, I quickly pushed the thought away because I thought it might be awkward. A few days later, no one had responded to my post and I got a private message from this same girl. She wondered why we weren't better friends and asked if she could go with me. We went to the concert and had a wonderful time! She is so kind and thoughtful, full of laughter, and a wonderful baker. Several months and concerts later, she is now my roommate (and a great one!) and I wonder how we weren't friends sooner.



Co-pay assistance programs - Earlier this year I had to make a decision on the treatment path I was going to head down for my multiple sclerosis. As you can read in my previous posts, there are many options - old and new - but the path I wanted to take was relatively new and really expensive. If it weren't for the pharmaceutical company's co-pay assistance program, I probably wouldn't be on Aubagio right now.


The ability and opportunity to travel - I feel very lucky that I grew up with parents that cultivated my love for travel. I've mentioned this before, but by the time I went into college I had been to most of the western half of the country and seen many National Parks. I know for a fact that all of the camping trips and road trips that our family went on when I was younger, planted a love for travel in my core. In addition to this, I have a very good job that provides many days of paid time off each year and I'm physically capable of traveling easily. Looking back at the places I've visited over the last few years and ahead at the plans I already have set for 2017, I'm extremely thankful for all of these things combined which allow me to travel so much. 


No MS flare-ups - This is probably the biggest thing I'm thankful for this year. Since my initial symptoms dissipated early in December last year, I have not had any flare-ups of any kind. When I feel normal I don't constantly think about the possibility of feeling bad, which is a huge blessing. There are still many times when people ask me how I'm doing or feeling and I forget for a minute why they would ask me that.  (If I give you a blank stare for a second when you ask me this, please don't take it personally.) 

I'm a great believer in thinking on the positive aspects of life. I'm no Pollyanna but I am definitely an optimist. In this age it is sometimes difficult to stay positive with so many horrific things happening around the world. What are some of the positive things that have happened in your life this year? Let's think on those things.  








Comments

Popular Posts