Uncoordinated Confusion

Last summer I knew almost nothing about the disease that is called MS. Not only that, but it was not even on my radar when I began experiencing weird little 'episodes' in August. They started as sporadic issues with my balance, and developed into short events where I would lose coordination in my right hand and leg, and each event was shortly followed by a cold tingly sensation in my left arm and around my mouth. Occasionally these episodes would be more severe and were accompanied by an odd inability to focus my right eye. At times forming words clearly could be a challenge too. I was initially experiencing about five episodes a day. 


Like any normal person, I immediately began searching WebMD and other medical sites for answers. Some of my friends who knew about my symptoms also searched the web trying to help. My family has a history of diabetes, thyroid disease, and vitamin D deficiencies as well as other health issues, so I researched those options first. None of them quite seemed to completely fit. After these episodes continued for a couple weeks and seemed to be getting worse, I went to a walk-in clinic near my office. They tested my Vitamin B and D levels, I was a little low on Vitamin D but everything seemed mostly normal. At this point things at work were getting more stressful than normal, and I was about to leave for my first trip overseas which was to be three weeks long. Stress definitely seemed to be connected in some way because I had about six episodes just in the 40 minutes it took me to get to the office one morning. I couldn't tell if stress was the root cause of the episodes but I was certain that the two were linked somehow. 


*this is part 1 of a 4 part series

Comments

Popular Posts