Genuine Beauty

In the current social climate I live in, it is quite common for me to see, hear, and say phrases such as "you deserve a great  ______ [job, house, vacation, etc.]". However, in more cases than not, the same people who say those things to their friends don't actually feel that way about themselves.

This general struggle with self worth stems from not being able to see ourselves as others do. Everyone struggles with self worth to different extents, while we can typically see the beauty in our friends. There is a video that has been going around social media a lot recently from Dove's Real Beauty campaign, which explores the idea that women don't view their physical attributes as positively as a stranger does. They use a powerful visual to prove this theory. It got me thinking about how it would be nice if we could do a similar demonstration based on one's self worth.

There have been many times when I wished I could make someone instantly understand how valuable they are as an individual. Just in the last couple years I witnessed people close to me struggle with self worth as a result of various things including: overly strict parental guidance during adolescence, spousal rejection and abandonment, and traditional religious pressures. I see the beautiful worth in my friends, especially those I know on a deeper level, and I just wish I could make them see it when they seem to be struggling the hardest.

"I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well."  - Psalms 139:14

Last year I started sharing a house with an acquaintance, and have since earned a dear and close friend out of the bargain. She is a daily reminder to me that genuine words have more power than I usually realize, and they can really make someone's day if spoken aloud. As a result, one of my personal goals this year is to cultivate an open pathway between my head and heart, and my voice - especially when it comes to the beauty in a person's character and personality. I hope you will join me.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts